Travel: In-town Radium Hot Springs
This town was originally known as Sinclair Hot Springs, named for James Sinclair who was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company and in 1841 brought settlers from the Red River Colony to Oregon. The name was changed in 1915 due to the high radioactivity in the water. The first owner was Roland Stuart who bought the springs for $160 in 1890, and in 1912 built a log bathhouse and a concrete pool were built. The strings were expropriated in 1922 for the Kootenay National Park. In 1923 the town was connected by roadway to Banff, and in 1951 the current Aquacourt was opened. In 1929, the hot springs were visited by Sir Winston Churchill, who visited with his son Randolph, his brother, and a nephew.
Today the Village of Radium Hot Springs lies on the southern end of Kootenay National Park and has 440 residents. It is at the junction of highway 93 from Banff and highway 95 from Golden. The town has a 3600 foot airstrip and the town has over 600 rooms, and 500 tent and RV sites.
Radium Hot Springs Annual events: include Wings over the Rockies (May), Radium Days Festival (May), Vintage/Classic Motorcycle Rally (Augsut), Columbia Classic Car Show & Shine Rally (Sept), Birthday Celebration (Dec 31). Contact the Radium Chamber of Commerce at 250-347-9331.
FoundLocally's Radium business directory
Radium Hot Springs Attractions
250-347-9485 or 250-347-9615
The Olympic-sized pool is open 365 days a year. The water flows from the rock at 300 gallons per minute at 114 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). The pool is wheelchair accessible.
Parkside Mini-Golf & Clubhouse
New 18 hole golf course with coffee terrace, gourmet ice cream, pastries and snacks.
5 minutes south of town on highway 93/95
Go carts, bumper cars, 1/8 hole mini-golf, petting zoo and amusement park. Open 7 days a week, 10 am to dusk during the summer.
east of town, on Hwy 93, also acessible by footpath
This natural feature
Click on "Hybrid" to view satellite image with map.