Alberta & BC Rockies Jasper Trails
Here are a number of popular trails around Jasper:
- Pyramid Lake
- This 13 km hike starts from the town up to Pyramid Lake, and back.
- Patricia Lake
- This 5 km hike starts at the town, and goes up to Patricia Lake, and back.
- The Whistlers
- For those who don't wish to pay for the Tram this 7 km (each way) hike climbs 1,200 m (4,000 ft) for some spectacular views
- Lake Annette
- This 2.5 km (and very flat) loop, begins over the Maligne Road bridge from the town, toward the Jasper Park Lodge.
- Maligne Canyon
- Drive to Maligne Canyon on Maligne Lake Road (8 km from Jasper). This 3.7 km hike (each way) provides spectacular views... you can turn back anytime you're tired.
- Valley of Five Lakes
- There are two hikes: one from the town, starting at Old Fort Point, the other further down highway 93A. The shorter hike, around the lakes is about 5 km. From the town, add 10 km each way
Some popular hikes around Maligne Lake:
Other trails in the Rockies area
- Moose Lake
- On the west side of the lake, this 2.6 km loop from the parking lot to the lake
- Lake Trail
- This 3.2 km looped trail on the east side of the lake, takes you to Shaeffer Viewpoint, and past glacial "kettles"
- Mona & Loraine Lakes
- This 4 km (return) hike northwest from the warden station, takes you to two lakes.
- Bald Hills Lookout
- This 5.2 km hike (each way) east from the warden station climbs 480 m (1540 ft) for a panoramic view of the Maligne Valley.
- Opal Hills
- Hike east from the parking lot on this 8.2 km loop to climb 460 m over a 3 km stretch, for a stunning view of Maligne Lake.